Alistair Mitchell is a mental health advocate, performance coach and the founder of Discovering the Best You. ‘Discovering the Best You,’ provides programs and presentations designed to tackle mental health in schools, businesses and sporting organisations. Alistair draws on his own battle with mental health to better equip others with the skills necessary to support people going through difficult times.
On this week’s episode of the ‘That Bad Review’ podcast series, Alistair and Adrian dive deep into mental health in schools, sporting organisations and the workplace. They discuss the negative impacts of mental health issues on an individual’s wellbeing, as well as the impact on productivity. Alistair provides some great tips around tackling mental health and being an empathetic boss.
If you are a leader in any field, operate or manage a business or work in any kind of team environment, this is one podcast you won’t want to miss.
In this episode, Alistair and Adrian also discuss:
- Alistair’s battle with mental illness
- How Alistair draws on his experience to help others
- Learning to trust gut instincts
- The role of medical professionals and helplines in mental health
- The positive effects of exercise, mindfulness, meditation, good nutrition, and creating routine on mental health
- Habilitation verses rehabilitation
- Work place wellbeing programs
- The effect of happy staff on customers
- More than just asking people ‘Are you OK?’
- Having the right tools to tackle mental health in the workplace
- Creating a positive working environment
- Team building opportunities
- Leading by example
- Wellbeing officers in the workplace
- The importance of clearing emotional baggage
- Learning through failure
- The importance of connecting with others