Matt Bruckner is the Chief Operating Officer (COO) for NRMA Parks and Resorts. Adrian and Matt entered the industry around the same time, both securing jobs through the Australian Tourism Park Management (ATPM). Adrian and his wife Casey moved away from ATPM and explored the holiday park industry as an independent husband and wife team, while Matt continued as an employee. Matt was with ATPM during their corporatisation and acquisition by NRMA Parks and Resorts in 2017.
On this week’s episode of the ‘That Bad Review’ podcast series, Adrian and Matt have a great chat around the state of the industry, from a corporate point of view. They discuss past challenges and future opportunities within the industry, in particular accessibility, sustainability and how to communicate effectively with guests.
If you’re involved in any way with the tourism or hospitality industries, manage an accommodation business or operate a service-based enterprise, this is one podcast you won’t want to miss.
In this episode, Adrian and Matt also discuss:
- The series of events that led Matt to begin his career in the industry
- How Matt copes with being busy
- How previous career skills has helped Matt in his senior roles
- The benefits of corporatisation
- NRMA’s transition from a motoring organisation to holiday parks
- Strategies to attract and engage new target markets
- The importance of showing empathy when dealing with guests
- Finding the right balance of fairness in each situation
- Getting guests involved in sustainability initiatives
- How snapchat and Tumblr are the new Facebook
- Not sweating the small stuff