Gavin McKay and his wife Steph are relief managers, traveling Australia. It’s not something they fell into, it was a meticulously planned life decision, an idea hatched over thirty years ago. However, despite a well-planned itinerary, Gavin and Steph’s journey has switched directions multiple times. Their Big-Lap became more about the adventures to be had, rather than ticking off the towns on their list.
On this week’s episode of ‘That Bad Review’ podcast series, Adrian catches up with Gavin for a chat about their trip and the lessons he and Steph have learnt along the way. Adrian and Gavin discuss the freedom that comes with working as relief managers, and the jobs the couple have picked up while on the road. They discuss how Gavin and Steph have ditched their well-planned itinerary and instead are now led by the experiences they have.
Each Monday join Adrian Easdown as he has enlightening chats with leaders within the accommodation, tourism & hospitality industries around the globe, on the first podcast of its kind in the southern hemisphere.
If you’ve ever considered packing up and embarking on a lap around our beautiful country, this is one podcast you won’t want to miss.
Also, in this episode, Adrian and Gavin discuss:
- Gavin and Steph’s work experience prior to relief management
- Post disaster recovery advice
- The impact of tourism on regional towns
- Throwing the best made plans out the window
- The benefits of group exercise and training
- Finding work while on the road
- The value of good people skills
- The increase in domestic tourism
- Experiences learnt through travel, especially for kids