The modern age has seen great changes within the hospitality industry. From the advancement and use of technology to the diversity and shift in the caravanning demographic, big changes are occurring. Keeping up is half the challenge, and understanding how to navigate those changes is something of an art, and takes a bit of experience.
Each Monday, join Adrian Easdown as he has enlightening chats with successful folks in the hospitality industry around Australia. If you’re involved in any way with caravanning, running a restaurant or working with any other sort of hospitality-based business, this podcast is perfect for you.
On this week’s episode I spoke with Danella Mitchell, the senior operations manager at FreeSpirit Resort & Holiday Park Management. Danella is a second generation parkie with an unquenchable zest for the industry. From the early days of working at her family’s previously owned business, Treasure Island Holiday Park, she had to determinedly climb the ranks to prove her worth. After many years, they sold up the business in the late 90’s, opting for a new venture within the industry.
While Danella had a spell chasing her dream career as a skiing instructor, she was drawn back to the family business. Since then she has accrued over 20 years of experience, and strives to create exceptional services across FreeSpirit’s multiple locations.
Danella and I have an enthralling conversation where we touch upon some important topics. We discuss the changing expectations of guests, technology’s role within the industry and training your staff to be like a duck!
We also dive into other themes such as:
- Danellas family history within the industry
- Keeping your finger on the pulse
- Developing concise policies and procedures and sharing those with others
- How Danella approaches staff training and keeping things in check
- The shift in holiday goers’ expectations
- The extreme changes in camper van sizes
- Accommodating multi-generational patrons
- Improving the mood of staff, and keep up morale
- Danella’s quick win advice, and how to get results by applying small changes
- How travel develops you as a person