The hospitality industry always needs an innovator, someone who recognises the potential in the silent, behind-the-scenes employees of the business.
Each Monday join Adrian Easdown as he has enlightening chats with successful folks in the hospitality industry around Australia. If you’re involved in any way with caravanning, running a restaurant or working with any other sort of hospitality-based business, this podcast is perfect for you.
In this episode, I have the great pleasure of interviewing Timo Lorenzen. Timo started his hospitality career in the early 2000’s, working in multiple hotels, bars and restaurants around Berlin. In 2009, he took a rare opportunity to relocate to Australia, where he served in several roles at Toga/TFE Hotels. After a few years, and two completed leadership programs, his experience quickly paved the way to his current position as cluster hotel manager. Now he is overseeing multiple properties across Sydney and pioneering positive change in hotel and staff management.
Timo oozes enthusiasm, particularly when it comes to his staff and improving the industry. Today, we chat about the doctors who clean your toilets, the three E’s of the industry and the changes within the hospitality business.
We also talk about:
- Timo’s backstory, and his journey to a life in Australia
- His “Dig a little deeper,” video
- Spotting potential talent within the workforce
- Feedback and finding solutions to potential problems
- Noticing the tiny things
- Creating beautiful experiences for customers
- Slowing down and enjoying experiences
- Issues within Australian customer service and how it can change
- Staying motivated and the rewards of change
- Timo’s views on work-life balance
- How feedback has changed in recent years
- How managers should open their ears to their employees stories
- How empathy can create a customer-staff relationship for life