Sean Haylan is the General Manager of Destination Southern NSW (DSNSW), a regional, industry focused tourism body, driving the visitor economy in south east New South Wales.
On this week’s episode of the ‘That Bad Review’ podcast series, Adrian and Sean have a great chat around the growing recognition of the tourism sector as a powerhouse industry. A sector that embraces positive attitude over skill set, offering employment to people who are often overlooked in traditional sectors. They discuss distribution channels and the need to be adaptable and present in the digital space. Adrian and Sean wind up the episode with an insightful conversation around the benefits of collaboration and why networking and partnerships are essential for all small business owners.
If you’re involved in any way with the tourism industry, manage a regional tourism business or operate a service-based enterprise, this is one podcast you won’t want to miss.
In this episode, Sean and Adrian also discuss:
- Sean’s extensive career in the tourism industry
- The power of social media for regional tourism operators
- The role of Destination Southern NSW in growing the visitor economy
- The cost of retaining customers verses attracting new ones
- Working on your business verse working in your business
- Tips for working smarter not harder
- Sharing tips and tricks to benefit everyone
- Discovering your own backyard
- Unique accommodation experiences replacing ageing country motels
- Focus on the visitor experience as a primary business goal
- The need to be ‘on show’ in the service industry
- Finding inspiration to stay motivated